Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Escape to NITH

We all at some time or other leave one place to shift to new lands for moving on in life. While leaving college some months back the pain was unbearable. The man’s ego held back the tears, still my eyes revealed the state of heart. Friends held my hand firmly as if wanting to avert this separation. The cab driver honked anxiously telling it was time we said good bye. For long I kept looking back till I could no more see them. The roads where I had roamed with friends, the benches outside admin where many afternoons were spent waiting for lectures to begin, a lot happening over a cup of coffee at Nescafe and every thing about my college called me back. But it was not possible. The cab sped out of hills and in few hours I came too far from that heaven called NIT Hamirpur.

Back at home the appointment letter of POWERGRID was waiting for me. Jubilation and celebration followed and soon it was time I again packed my bags to attend the call of career. Faridabad NCR, our first stoppage in a year long training, was hot and humid. This further made me miss the cool and cozy college campus. I started talking to juniors thinking that would help make the transformation from campus to company easy. But this backfired and now the desire to escape to the Alma mater grew strong like a tsunami. We got our first salary by the end of august. It was by every means more than what our pockets could manage. The very next weekend I decided to run back to the green pines where uncountable memories were waiting for my return. The sight of ISBT bus stand filled me with nostalgia. It was a moonlit night. Thus, allowing me a bluish grey view outside. Somewhat like the black and white movie of yesteryear. I could not sleep. As the bus crossed Una, familiar clay hills injected into me a sense of belongingness to this land. The rising sun seemed to welcome me back home. As the bus stopped finally at ‘Mirpur bus stand, I waited for some bus/cab driver to come to me and say “kutti jani”. "REC", I replied with energy and smile.

Next couple of days amidst greenery and juniors I cupped life with both hands and replenished my soul with it. Though there was a change in the air about college still it possessed the same aroma which made us forget all our worries and gave us strength to keep moving higher in life. In the 36 hours I stayed there I slept just for 3 hours. This itself tells how much life is there at NITH.

It was time to say good bye again. I walked with heavy steps towards gate 1. Accompanied by few friends who had come to c me off... I wished to stay longer and spend some more time with juniors and the campus. When they put their hands forward for the final shake I was reluctant but then this is what life is all about; moving on, leaving behind memories and people. As I walked out of college gates I recalled words of a close friend from my batch :

"I want to go back to the time when our ELE deptt. was our fav timepass, when love was waiting at nescafe just to see them pass by, when frnds shoulder was the highest place on earth, when your worst enemies were your teachers, when the only thing that could hurt was misunderstanding amongst friends and when good byes only meant till tomorrow"

10 comments:

Ruchika said...

it took me back to those good ol' days :( the memories seem to have become fresh once again.. :)

Gaurav Vashist said...

Nice one Prashant..nostalgia sets in while reading this piece....see you on Alumni Meet.

Raj said...

shit. you miss it like hell dont you. and you actually called it heaven, a feat i can never achieve. this shows how much you love the place. take care sir.

Surya Banyal said...

great work man..
its truly heart touching.

Viki said...

Its been a while since I last followed your blog. I see a grip of maturity in your writing, not to mean that there was immaturity in it back at college :D. Great article, made me want to go back to HHH, if not to NIT Hamirpur. Alls well that ends well.

Cheers
Vignesh

Arjun B S said...

Lovely.. lovely! I enjoyed it.. made my heart sink a few inches too.. it's that kind of a place where we should go for a recharge every so often.. I remember feeling the same way when i came to college for out convo.. and man was I sad to leave!

Good one, Prashant!

Anonymous said...

rula diya :)

First about the article itself - you never wrote so well before - what was holding you back?

Next - about the emotions that this article is drenched with - belongs to all of us - and you've articulated your emotions so well - a treat to read indeed.

Sandeep had recommended me this. Thanks to him too :)

Unknown said...

After reading ur post and comments, I can't even imagine leaving this Heaven. But as U said, life is actually moving on, I'll have to keep going but it is gonna be 'soooo' much difficult.
Miss U all. ;-)

workhard said...

A whole new phase... completely new beginning....


Work from home India

Saroj Thakur said...

Dear Prashant,

I am feeling so nostalgic sitting here at Shimla. I came across your blog sheer by chance and I just loved it boy!